Have you ever been told, or told a child, not to stand on the side of the shopping cart because it might tip over? There is a reason for this. We were at Dollar Tree. The carts are very skinny. Mikey was asleep so I was carrying him. There was no weight in the cart. Alex jumps onto the side of the cart and down they go.
I reached down and picked up the cart one handed. I thought he had just scared himself and maybe bumped his head. Then he leans forward with his hand on his head and bright red drops fall to the ground. It took me a second to figure it out. That was the end of Michael's nap. He was placed in the cart while I put Alex's head over the drinking fountain at the back of the store and hurried to the front of the store. I asked the clerk if I could have the key to the bathroom, "My son is bleeding." I opened the door, splashed some water on his head, and grabbed some paper towels to clean up the 10 or so drops of blood off of the floor. Michael was good, dazed from being rudely woken from his nap. Back into the bathroom to survey the damage. Bruise on his forehead and a cut on his scalp. It bled, but was closing up after the cold water hit it. I learned from a previous ER trip that if the cut stops bleeding after 15 minutes or so, this time it was 3, that I don't need to take him in.
We went home and I put ice on his head. He couldn't keep the ice pack in the right spot, so I had to improvise to keep it in place. After I was sure that it wouldn't bleed anymore, I got out the medical super glue I bought for injuries where a bandaid just wouldn't work. I did really well and didn't get much on his hair.
This happened last monday and when I did his hair for Sunday, I could run a comb through it and styled is without any problems. It's healing very nicely and hardly noticeable. I am so grateful that I know how to handle situations like these without panicking too much.




No comments:
Post a Comment