27 November 2009

which one is real?

Elizabeth asked me one year, "Why are there so many different santas? How do I know which one is the real one?" My answer to her was that none of the santas she sees at Christmas time is the real Santa. To still allow her to believe in Santa and the magic of the holiday season, we told her and now her brothers that the real Santa was very busy making toys and had too much to do to come down and see her in person. Any santa she sees around town is a 'helper' santa. You can tell the helper santa what you want the real Santa to know and he will tell him. It makes sense. Someday she will know the truth, and sometimes I suspect that she may already know, but we pretend and it makes the magic of the season seem all the more real when your children believe.

1 comment:

Sarah R said...

Love it--what a good idea!
although I would be really surprised if she still believes because there's always one kid at school who spills the beans.