06 April 2009

Johnny's birthday

Johnny wanted to have a CARS birthday party, but when we found Speed Racer birthday supplies for $.50 a package, it turned into a racecar birthday. He wanted cupcakes, so this is what I made: cupcakes in ice cream cones with funfetti cake mix, chocolate frosting, candy sprinkles and sugar Maters and Lightening McQueen's. We also had little cups of ice cream I found at Smith's.
These are the activities that we did. I bought racecar kits at Michael's for $1 each. They came with wood pieces, sandpaper, glue, paint and a paint brush. My brother, Brian, Dave and I glued all of the cars together so that they were ready to paint. The boys painted the cars and they were dry by the end of the party. They liked that activity. I also made up checkered flags for the party. I took a piece of felt and drew a 1" grid on it. I had a paper with a black and white pattern on it so that the boys could see what a checkered pattern looked like. You can see that Johnny started to do the pattern but quickly lost interest. I hot glued a dowel onto it to make a flag. They liked having the flags, but didn't like coloring it. I think if I did it in paper and had them glue on black squares it may have gone over better.
Here Dave is setting up the G.I. Joe's jeep that Johnny got. Dave never had G.I. Joe's growing up, but told me that he always wanted them. It's fun to see him playing with his sons as if he was a kid too.
Ever since he turned 5, Johnny has been sillier. Here he is being a stegasaurus with the party hats that were left over. I also found out that he really likes dinosaurs. I'm not sure I knew that before. He got a couple for his birthday.
Dave and I got him a bike for his birthday. We got one that was a little big, but he can reach the pedals okay. We also bought training wheels for it. Here hs is not wanting to wait for dad to put the extra wheels on. He was very excited to get it.

No comments: